While dwelling on the idea of what every woman needs to achieve before turning thirty, I came to realize that it is not about following a plan but about learning things along the way.
That is when a list of 30 Things Every Woman Should Know and Do Before Thirty came to mind. I remember the first time I read it ! A group of my closest girlfriends and I went over the list — most of us knowing each other since high school — and found that each one could relate to it!
The list was originally written by Pamela Redmond Satran for Glamour Magazine in 1997 and due to popular demand has turned into a series of essay. Aside from being the latest addition to my reading list, the list really is inspiring! It might have been written prior to mainstream internet but it sure does resonate :)
So, here are 30 things that every woman should do and know before thirty...
By 30, you should have ...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you've come. *Check*
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family. *Check*
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour. *Check*
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying. *Check*
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond. *Check*
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age. *To-Do*
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it. *Check*
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you. *Check*
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded. *Check*
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry. *Check*
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra. *To-Do*
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it. *To-Do*
13. The belief that you deserve it. *To-Do*
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30. *Check*
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better. *Check*
By 30, you should know ...
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself. * Check*
2. How you feel about having kids. *Check*
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship. *To-Do*
4. When to try harder and when to walk away. *To-Do*
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next. *Check*
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town. *To-Do*
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to. *Check*
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing. *Check*
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents. *Check*
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over. *Check*
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love. *Check*
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. *Check*
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally. *Check*
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault. *To-Do*
15. Why they say life begins at 30 *To-Do*
What are some of your favorite To-Do things from this list?
Image Sources: From cheap-wednesday.tumblr.com; thebeautifulsoup.com; voguechanel.tumblr.com; style.com