Hello Darlings, For months, I've noticed many people walking dogs in a certain neighborhood on my morning drive, even on the coldest winter days. Curious what's so special, I found there is an SPCA (animal shelter) nearby and the people walking all these dogs are large-hearted volunteers starting their day by helping our four-legged friends!
If you're an animal lover like me - photos are with my 2 dogs Bonnie and Johnny - the Ontario SPCA has a cute fund-raising initiative called National Cupcake Day planned for Monday, February 25th to raise money to protect at-risk animals. It's free to participate, where anyone can host their own "Cupcake Party" with the money raised going to help fund SPCA's and Humane Societies.
SPCA stands for "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals", also commonly known as animal shelters and the Humane Society. As a teenager, I used to volunteer occasionally walking dogs at my local animal shelter in Toronto. But I was shocked when researching to write this, to learn how significant is the impact that the SPCA makes to the lives of so many animals!
If you're interested to become a Cupcake Day host, here's how:
1. Register for FREE at www.nationalcupcakeday.ca
2. You will receive a FREE Cupcake Host Welcome Package in the mail
3. Package includes a poster, sticker, balloons and fundraising guide
4. Personalize your National Cupcake Day™ Online Bakery and send it out to the world
5. Encourage friends and family to support you by donating online
6. Plan your National Cupcake Day™ Party for home, work, school or wherever
6. Bake, decorate, eat and share delicious cupcakes to raise funds for SPCA’s & Humane Societies!
7. Collect and return funds to SPCA’s & Humane Societies in your community
In 2012, the Montreal SPCA reports they received over 14,000 animals, which averages to almost 40 new animals per day. Two thirds of those animals were cats, but the SCPA receives animals of all sorts. Despite these alarming numbers, the good news is the "save rate" of these animals is over 75%. Happy baking, and please share the news about this great cause!