Hello Darlings, There are moments when an argument is simply unavoidable. We’ve all been there, and most certainty will face arguments again in the future. As every individual is different, so are their opinions. And differing opinions often lead to a disagreements, which in turn can result in an argument. So how does one master the skill of arguing?
After day-long argument of my own, I resorted to google for insights about how I ended up so angry. I came across these 8 points to improve my art of arguing:
1. Welcome the disagreement – maybe you will be corrected before you make a serious mistake.
2. Distrust your first instinct - our first natural reaction is to be defensive.
3. Control your temper
4. Listen first – give your opponents a chance to talk.
5. Look for areas of agreement
6. Be honest – think where you can admit error and say so.
7. Promise to think over your opponents’s ideas
8. Thank your opponent for their interest – arguing means they care.
9. Postpone action to give both sides time to think through the problem
It may be ridiculous to think that we will never argue, but at least we can try. And if there’s anything that I have come to realize, it’s that one can rarely change your opponents opinion by arguing. What’s more likely is that you will convince the other person that they are right.
So as the saying goes, ” A man convinced against his will, will never really change his opinion.” So if you do try using some of the “arguing advice”, please let me know if it actually helps!
Source: "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie