Hello Darlings, As tradition holds, Valentine’s Day is the moment for a man to show off his romantic skills and spoil his lady. Well, this year it’s all about your man! When February 14th comes around, be the one to romance your man with a grande plan for the evening, not only will he be thankful but you’re also breaking the dated tradition. So put your best foot forward and show him how it’s done!
I spoke to relationship expert Jen Kirsch about creating the perfect evening and here are some of her recommendations on how to charm his socks off. If you’re not comfortable with the idea, she also has tips on how to ensure that Valentine’s Day is great experience for both of you. For after hour, Durex Canada is giving away a loving gift for you and your loved to enjoy together!
Here are five ways to make him enjoy Valentine’s Day:
- If you have expectations of him or a set plan for that day, tell him well in advance. Sure, it would be super sweet if he knew you so well that he read your mind and could book in whatever it is you’re hoping he’ll book (couples massage, fancy pre-fixe dinner at the new it resto, join you for your yoga class.) Be honest and specific about what you want to do. That takes the pressure off the day, and will allow him to actually look forward and enjoy it with you. Many couples break up on Feb 14th simply due to lack of communication which results in disappointment. Your guy doesn’t want to make you miserable, in fact you would be doing him the greatest favour by telling him just what you have in mind.
- Do something specific to you both as a couple. When Valentine’s Day rolls around many people want to do something extravagant, especially in this social media driven day in age where we feel less than when a friend boasts of the perfect thing their partner did for them. It’s not a competition and that mind set is exactly what ruins the entire point of the day. So if you guys are a ‘beer at a pub’ kind of couple, do that. If you both are homebodies who are perfectly happy marathoning a series on Netflix, so be it. When couples use this day to be the one day to do something different (like getting a hotel room or getting all dolled up for a night out when they thrive off of being in their pj’s) they don’t actually enjoy it. Keep it casual.
- Start it at midnight. Give him a card and a gift (if you’re giving him one) either right at midnight or right when you wake up. This way he’s not waiting and wondering. It takes off the pressure and makes it easy for him to know what he’s in for. Men are human too and they’re more sensitive than we think.
- Give good gift/Keep it simple. For the past year or so I’ve been head over heels for Amazing Clubs Canada, a subscription based gift-giving service where you go to their site, select your gift of choice (wine, cheese, tea, jerky, etc.) enter your credit card info, and a gift box of the curated items arrive at the front door of your loves place. Last year I gifted my boyfriend with a 3-month cheese club service from the site, and each month we’d look forward to seeing which cheeses we’d get and where in the world they’re from. We would also make a date of it and pick up some wine and snacks to have with it making it a gift that keeps on giving. Something like this is so easy to do, but its uniqueness makes it such a memorable and playful gift.
- Stay in. When was the last time you unplugged and just had a cozy night in (where you didn’t spend half your time together scrolling through your insta feed?) Instead of hinting and passive aggressively letting him know what all your friends and their men are planning for vday, take control. Tell him that instead of heading to a hot “it” resto for an overpriced tasting menu, that you want to stay in. Ask him what his fave meal is or if there’s something he’s been craving lately (that maybe you haven’t let him eat in the house, like wings) and prep some dishes for him. Turn off your phones. Going out on Valentine’s Day is so over rated. There’s so much pressure on where to go, timing to get a good seat, the amount of money to spend, that something like calling off Valentine’s Day this year will be a breath of fresh air. Just don’t say you’re cool with that and make him pay for it later.
The key to a successful Valentines for both of you is to be open and honest as to what the expectation is. Perhaps a night of staying in and spending the time together is just what the doctor ordered and we sure have the perfect gift for you below which includes Durex new Massage 2in1 Stimulating Gaurana + Play Delight + Real Feel condoms. The last thing you need to do is throw on cute nightie or a sexy look and you’re off to a romantic night! Just enter your details below for a chance to WIN. Contest ends this February 14th at 3pm.
Also this Wednesday at 9pm, Jen Kirsch and I will be answering all of your Valentine’s Day questions! So send us your questions on Twitter using #DurexVdayTips Chat soon! For more loving tips check out Durex Canada on Facebook and Twitter.