Hello Darlings, Nothing is better to weather winter’s coldest days than a cozy leather jacket. And since much of my winter is being spent in chilly Montreal, last week I added a new warm stunner from Danier Leather to my wardrobe.
This leather jacket has instantly become my favorite for everyday. The slim fit makes my outfits appear sleek and polished, and the snowy white color adds a bit of cheer on otherwise dark and dreary winter days.
Like your own skin, leather needs protection, cleansing and moisturizing to keep it looking its best. And since a leather jacket is a big investment, here are some important care tips to keep your jacket looking it’s best in the long-term:
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CARE FOR MY LEATHER?
- Spray your jacket with leather and suede protector when you bring it home for the first time.
- Then spray every 2-3 months.
- Danier recommends their “Defense Spray”.
HOW DO I KEEP MY LEATHER SOFT?
- Use leather rejuvenator every month to restore essential oils, keeping leather soft and supple.
- Danier recommends using their “Renewal Lotion”.
CAN I WEAR MY LEATHER JACKETS AND ACCESSORIES IN THE RAIN OR SNOW?
- The quick answer is “yes”.
- However, be sure to use these tips to minimize or eliminate permanent water marks.
- First, protect your leather with Defense Spray before they are exposed to rain or snow.
- Second, if your leather does get wet, let it dry and then apply Danier Renewal Lotion.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY UNTREATED LEATHER OR SUEDE GETS WET?
- First, use an absorbent cloth to blot away the excess moisture.
- Second, hang the garment or accessory on a well-padded hanger.
- Third, let it dry at room temperature. Never put in the dryer or hang over a radiator.
- FOR LEATHER: After the leather has dried, use Danier Renewal Lotion to the surface.
- FOR SUEDE: After the suede has dried, brush items with Danier Suede Brush to raise the nap.
- If there is a water mark, find a specialist to treat your garment or accessory.
WHAT IS MOST DAMAGING TO LEATHER AND SUEDE?
- Adhesives like stickers or name tags can damage the skin.
- Oil and grease can penetrate leather and suede quickly and leave a mark.
- If it happens, try to absorb the spot with a soft cloth.
- Alternatively, apply chalk powder over the spot to absorb the moisture.
HOW SHOULD I STORE MY LEATHER AND SUEDE JACKETS?
- Never store in plastic (the skin needs to breathe and the plastic will dry it out).
- Ideally, hang on padded or wooden hangers and place in a cool, dry area.
- Avoid heat, especially from a furnace or fireplace.